Disclaimer: By reading this blog, you may be subjected my ideas of what is "cool", stupid things that I want, obnoxious comments I may make about any given number of things, or deranged thoughts that creep out of my awkward brain. Just letting you know ahead of time.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

It's so easy and affordable to make your own laundry detergent at home. It consists of 3 ingredients which are, for the most part, easy to find! You'll need Borax, washing soda, and a bar of any kind of soap. You'll also need something to keep your homemade detergent in (hence the coffee tin!), and a grater to grate your bar of soap.
I found the Borax at my local supermarket, Rouse's, in the laundry aisle. The 55oz box cost me about $3.75. The Arm and Hammer Washing Soda was a little more difficult for me to find, and I actually looked for both of these ingredients all over town, but I could only find the Borax locally. The washing soda was $2 from www.alice.com, which is a pretty neat website despite the fact that you must by at least 5 items in order for them to ship your order. But I can assure you, if you order from the site, you can find 5 things to buy. They also do not charge for shipping! You can use scented or unscented soap, and if you feel really adventurous, you can scent your finished laundry detergent with essential oils.  

-Grate the bar of soap over a bowl
-Add 1 cup Borax
-Add 1 cup Washing Soda
-Mix together and store in an air tight container!

Use 1 scoop per load of laundry. For heavily soiled clothes, use two scoops, or add another cleaning agent like OxyClean.

I've been using this method for at least 6 months now, and I'm still on my first boxes of washing soda and Borax! I don't think I've spent more than $10 total!

No comments:

Post a Comment